Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on securing pea gravel around square cement step stones

Posted by msubobcat (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 07 at 16:39

We have recently purchased a 1940 Georgian Colonial with a beautiful grapevine covered portico/patio in the backyard. There are square 12x12 cement stepping 'stones' covering the floor of this portico all surrounded by pea gravel. It is lovely, however, the gravel is always blowing around whenever it's windy or the leaf blower is used. It is very high maintenance. Other than starting over and putting in cement and reapplying the peagravel, is there any other way to secure or set the existing pea gravel around these stones? I couldn't think of anything that could be applied around the gravel or poured over it to adhere them so they were basically cemented together. Any suggestions out there? Thanks for your opinions!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on securing pea gravel around square cement step sto

portland

o

I was going to put pea gravel under the perimeter of this fence that I build last year. The landscape guy talked me out of it. He said I need something solid around the perimeter. We went with these pavers.

He was right.

o

Thanks tom nwnj. I wish the former owners had used pavers. We have an extensive number of the 12" square steps to work with (~150 of them) so would rather keep those intact, although leveling will be required for some. Each step is surrounded by pea gravel currently. I like the pea gravel and would like to keep it. The trouble is trying to maintain it...i.e.,. can it be cemented, glued, or whatever, to stay intact during windy times?

o

msubobcat

I suspect the answer to your question is no. I can't imagine how you can glue it.

Just realize that landscaping has the highest payback of all home improvements. (and the hardscape part of landscaping will probably never get any cheaper).

If you can't pay a contractor to fix the problem, you can do it yourself - this is not electrical engineering. You just need a vision of the final look, then ask people how to accomplish it.

o

I've been on several pathways that have clearly been some sort of stabilized agg product. They're sold as soil stabilizers (type that into google and settle in), but the principle is the same. I haven't used them myself, don't know how they're affected by climate (the website below is for a mfr in Phoenix), and don't know how well the product works as a "retrofit"- but it *could* work. Come to think of it, one of the private residences in Colonial Williamsburg has a stabilized pea gravel front walk.

Here is a link that might be useful: manufacturer site

o

marcinde
Thanks for the information on the soil stabilizers; this looks most interesting and is something I'm definitely going to look into. This must might be one answer. I realize nothing is going to be an easy fix, and I do want a nice looking end-product. Thanks again!!!

o

A brick border will go a long way to keeping the gravel in place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here