Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 Season Screen Porch Remodel

Posted by skavan (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 16:16

Hi,

I have a 3 season screened porch (see attached picture).
It is 20' (wide) x 15' deep (narrowing to 12' where the chimney is). The chimney serves the house not the porch.
The porch has exits on the left and right.
I want to:
a) Build a deck off the front of the porch.
b) Have new sliding screen doors that open to the deck.
c) allows for winter protection by temporarily attaching clear screen covers to each insect screen area.

You will note that the existing doors and walls are sitting on the floor. Although the picture makes the porch look like its in good shape, its actually pretty tatty and needs quite a lot of spit and polish - or perhaps replacement. The doors/walls/windows seem to be custom made from Cedar.

I guess my choices are:
I) Sand, paint, straighten and otherwise clean up what I have. Bash out the three middle front sections and replace them with some sort of sliding screen door system (along with a half size fixed window on each side). OR
II) Take them all out and replace them with some system -- ideally that extends further towards the floor. If I go this route, any ideas who makes such a system that would fit with this Porch? OR
III) Some combo of the above.

Love to get ideas and guidance from the gurus please!
Thanks.

s.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 Season Screen Porch Remodel

You could either use a screened porch kit to build your screened porch on your existing deck or patio - or you could construct columns, roof and frames for the screens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here