Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Adding walkway to existing work

alexh1000
9 years ago

Hi,

Several years ago I put in a flagstone over concrete entryway and alter I realized that I should have also put in a flagstone walkway adjacent to the driveway. So I'm tackling that now and my concern is with regards to bonding it to existing work.

Of course I will bond to the existing entry. I plan to put in a few epoxied rebar in addition to the acrylic bonding adhesive. The rebar may be overkill but there is a slight downward grade and I'm afraid that the whole slab may pull away from the entryway.

At the red mark on the picture, the brick grout line has steadily cracked probably due to the driveway settling. This is why I'm not sure if I should bond to the driveway. I could put epoxied rebar but leave out the adhesive or even use a tar paper to create a control joint between brick and flagstone surface. Currently though I'm planning to bond it with rebar and adhesive because I think even if there is some settling the crack will occur at the boundary.

At the bottom of the picture is the city sidewalk and I won't bond to that and I'll probably knock off the cement that escaped the bottom of the form and place tar paper against the existing sidewalk.

Of course I will be putting down wire reinforcement for the concrete. The soil is highly compacted clay.

I'm using 3/8" rebar and quickcrete says you only need to drill the hole a couple of inches deep - this seems kind shallow?

Thanks for any comments

Comments (2)