Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwerk_gw

Joist Hanger Screws

kwerk
13 years ago

I have a 2x deck ledger attached to a concrete foundation that I need to attach joist hangers to.

Reading the Simpson info they say I should use 10D 3" nails to attach the hangers to the ledger. Obviously this won't work because there is concrete behind the ledger. There is a foot note saying I can use 10D 1.5" nails but the load value will be reduced to 0.64.

Digging around further they seem to suggest I can also use 1.5" SD structural connector screws on these joist hangers.

Has anyone researched this stuff and used these screws before on joist hangers with treated lumber? They are mechanically galvanized compared to hot-dipped galvanized. The website is a little light on info because this is a new product.

I expected to simply nail everything in with those 1.5" 10D 'joist hanger nails' but apparently that is a mistake. Although they are acceptable for the header (with a .64 load reduction), the joist toenails require 10D common at minimum and the double joist hangers require 16D common for both header and joist. I'm glad I looked this stuff up.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler