Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joist Hanger Screws

Posted by kwerk (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 15:15

I have a 2x deck ledger attached to a concrete foundation that I need to attach joist hangers to.

Reading the Simpson info they say I should use 10D 3" nails to attach the hangers to the ledger. Obviously this won't work because there is concrete behind the ledger. There is a foot note saying I can use 10D 1.5" nails but the load value will be reduced to 0.64.

Digging around further they seem to suggest I can also use 1.5" SD structural connector screws on these joist hangers.

Has anyone researched this stuff and used these screws before on joist hangers with treated lumber? They are mechanically galvanized compared to hot-dipped galvanized. The website is a little light on info because this is a new product.

I expected to simply nail everything in with those 1.5" 10D 'joist hanger nails' but apparently that is a mistake. Although they are acceptable for the header (with a .64 load reduction), the joist toenails require 10D common at minimum and the double joist hangers require 16D common for both header and joist. I'm glad I looked this stuff up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joist Hanger Screws

Have you considered doubling up on your ledger? That would give you enough depth for the full length 10d nails, add strength to the structure and give you enough surface to put a post underneath for added support. Use the same nailing pattern you would for a built up beam - 3 nails in a row every 12 in.
Good luck,
Jim

o
RE: Joist Hanger Screws

You are using the double shear joist hangers? If so ...

"With 2x carrying members, use 10d x 1 1/2" nails into the header and 10d commons into the joist, reduce the load to 0.64 of the table value."

The 3" nails can go in diagonally without popping out of the back of your 2x ledger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simpson LUS/HUS Double Shear Joist Hangers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here