Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Garapa handrail or ...? (ipe alternatives)

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

We're trying to decide on a handrail for our deck which we'd really like to get finished up before any more snow falls). We'd like a hardwood and really we'd love something that looks like teak. Ipe is out of our price range. Garapa came in at about 60% of the cost of Ipe, making it an option, but I'm not overly thrilled with the golden color. We were hoping for a rail we could just oil to keep that good look to.

What color does garapa age to? Is there another option we should be considering?

For background info the decking is gray Timbertech, and stair risers and posts are white. Railing will be SS cables.

Comments (6)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Its very possible to use one ipe 2x4 for a rail post when using the cable rail system. This should be well with in a cost effective area.

Teak is a light color as well. J.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Normally, yes, but unfortunately this is one of the last items to be dealt with at the end of a half-house renovation, and like most renovations the budget has spiraled so ipe is a luxury that's not in the cards for us at this time. We probably could do the 2x4, but we're looking for a little wider top rail and in the width vs. material battle, width, apparently wins.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

I am not understanding a lot of this.

Your using the most expensive manmade decking there is timbertech, the most expenseve rail system there is ss cable, some of your posts are white ???? but you cant buy ipe 2x4 ????? this makes no sence at all. The price of ipe 2x4s is nothing compaired to what you already have chosen.

Anyway I have a bud, Joe Wood, www.woodsshop.com go to projects..cable rail. there you will see the install and notice any cap rail can be installed with 2x4 posts.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, not that the details really much matter here, but I'm a pretty good barterer and made a trade for the SS cables which we are installing ourselves so the materials for that were free. Timbertech decking was something we budgeted for in the beginning and even that was downgraded mid-project (yes, I'm aware you're not a fan). The handrail went largely forgotten in the planning stages so we didn't think or properly plan for the it in the beginning. Like any project, when you get to the end, some concessions need to be made.

All of my posts are white (cedar). It is a look similar to the deck bigkahuna built at his girlfriend's house if you recall that one.

I'll check out your friend's website.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Actually TimberTech is one of the few manmade I do recomend and use every so often. They offer a full warenty labor,material even fasteners. A real stand up Outfit.

See if you like Joe's setup the posts are conected to the outside,something I dont usually do, but they seem to hold up for Him on that one. J.

• dooer
    13 years ago

You can use anything for a temporary cap until you can afford what you really want.

We usually use all redwood (or cedar) frames with a ipe cap.

All woods left untreated will turn a driftwood gray, eventually.

Mark www.creative-redwood-designs.com