Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Wrong With Big Box Pavers

Posted by splais (splais1@gmail.com) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 13:53

I have read in two or three different places where people said they would never buy pavers from Lowes or Home Depot, but they never say why. Could someone tell what they think is wrong with them. They are all concrete and none of them are actually made by Lowes or Home Depot - so what's up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Wrong With Big Box Pavers

a paver is only as good as what goes into it. Factors like quality/PSI of the concrete mix, the quality of the molds, how many times they use the molds before scrapping them, is the color all the way through, quality of pigments (bad ones fade in direct sun), what their QC tolerances are - all these impact overall quality. A crappy paver will often have the aggregate visible on the surface of the finished paver on day 1, and this gets worse over time. They can flake. They can fade. They can be a bear to install because they may vary in size because the molds should've been pitched 1000 pavers ago.

I've been in this industry a long time and I can tell a good paver from a bad one. The box stores sell garbage that could be used for backfill and not much else. They don't care. Their market is DIYer folks who don't know to seek out professional grade products at stone yards, and they don't care that when their subpar product fails in a couple years (especially if you follow their ludicrous installation instructions) you're probably going to extrapolate that to "wow pavers suck."

When I worked out west we were selling the pavers made by the same plant that made them for HD/Lowes for $2.5/sq ft. The cheapest "real" brand was $4/sq ft. You can't sell the same quality of paver at almost a 50% discount and stay in business, which means you're NOT selling the same quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here