Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmybarb_gw

Bad Contractor Key Largo Contruction

Farmybarb
10 years ago

Signed contract on 9/12/2013 to install new pier and boatlift and to modify existing pier to match new pier and to modify existing boatlift. We gave him 50% down as required by contract and he said he would show up in three days. We waited and he never showed up and we finally contacted him 3 weeks later to inform him we feel we made a mistake in hiring him because he had not called or showed up for work. That got his attention and he called us and said he would be there in 4 days which all he did and that was to drop off his equipment. When he did show up all he could do was mock us about non-communication which we stated in our e-mail was one of the issues we had with him along with racial slurs about the laziness of blacks and their burden on society. Not to mention the bad mouthing he did about other local contractors in the area. All this was coming out of his mouth well professing to be a deeply religious man. We would have fired him then if it were not under contract. After dropping off barge October 3 they could not work because his equipment to set the piles was broke down. October 7 machine working and 3 piles set. October 8 machine not working no work. October 9 machine working 3 piles set. This is how the entire job went. The post are not set in line and are all crooked and damaged to the point it has reduced the life span of the piles. Carpenters finally show up for work and complained to us that the piles are not straight. The carpenters had no direction and it was not until I drew up a sketch as to what was to be done did they have a clue as what to do. The carpenters he hired stated to us that they had not been paid. On October 29 we offered to give Stuart an additional $1,000 so he could pay his employees for the new pier they built. Stuart came by picked up the $1,000 and that same day he removed his trailer and we never heard from him again. E-mailed him November 4 to get an idea when the boatlift would be installed and what was going on. No reply. Have gone by his office on two occasions and no one is ever there. November 11 I go to his office have confrontation with Stuart about work not being complete and he told me that if I wanted my boatlift that I should write a check to his subcontractor. I refused to write that check to his subcontractor because my contract is with Key Largo. At this point I have a partially finished pier, no boatlift, crooked pilings to existing piers, no modifications to existing piers and no modifications to existing boatlift. He, however, has intentionally left 2 ladders on our property which indicates to us that he has not walked off this job should we file a lawsuit. November 21 after emails I agreed to pay the balance of the contract because his Subcontractor that does the boatlift did not trust him to pay him for the work. Cummings came by my home picked up a check for the balance of contract and said he was headed to Anchor Boat Lifts to discuss installing lift and he would get back with us. It is now 12/03 and no contact from him. Emailed him again on the 2nd and still no response. The communications from this man are unbelievable.

Comments (2)