Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srubik

IPE Spring Staining

srubik
12 years ago

I appreciate all the help I've received on this forum, you guys are great! I've finally finished my IPE deck which took a lot longer than I expected. But, it's too late to apply a stain where I live (midwest) given that the temperature is now only 40 deg. I've already purchased 5 gallons TWP116 hoping I would have enough time to apply it, but it will have to wait until spring. My question is, come this spring, what's the best way to prep the deck to take the TWP? I imagine the IPE will have grayed a bit during the winter. I was thinking of using the 2 part Woodrich cleaner (EFC38 and Citralic), letting it dry for a week or two, and applying the stain when the weather cooperates. Does this make sense? Do I even need the EFC38 if I'm not stripping old stain off?

Another question. I plugged parts of my deck, and used Titebond3 wood glue when I put the plugs in. The weather was great when I applied the glue (50 deg+), and it looked great. A few weeks later, I started noticing some white streaking around the plugs as if the glue was leaching out. Has anyone seen this before? The steak comes out easily if I take an orbital sander to that area, but I wasn't sure if this is normal or to be expected. I'll clean this up this spring as well before applying the stain.

Thanks!