Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over Budget, Bleeding Continues

Posted by ladyjd (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 9:25

Our contractor has about doubled the costs he estimated to construct a deck. Before realizing how much we would be charged, my husband asked to have a sliding door from our bedroom to the deck replaced. On deciding to call off the remainder of the project, we told our contractor we didn't want the door at this time. A day or two later, the contractor said he'd ordered the door from Anderson and it was too late to call it off. This means that we would be responsible for the cost of the door and the associated costs to install it (which would include the costs of redoing the wall, since the replacement will be shorter and less wide than the old Peachtree unit. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is it really true that this door can't be returned somehow? It's a standard two window slider, nothing custom. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over Budget, Bleeding Continues

Just because he ordered the door doesn't mean you have to install it. I would call the company/store he ordered from and discuss canceling the order and also ask if they accept returns. Not being custom may be to your advantage.
If it were the contractors error in ordering the door, he would have to accept the cost and would most likely end up using the door on another project.
Since you did request the door, then changed the direction of the project, you could hold on to the door until you eventually finish the project or just list it on Craigslist and sell it.

o

I agree with annz: call the supplier directly. Worst case, since it's not custom, they may have a 15% restocking fee or something. But no one says if you buy it you have to install it. You'd probably need to discount it by about 50% to sell it on CL.

o

Did you sign a change order?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here