Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doug10965

fiberon portico cedar color decking

Doug10965
12 years ago

Has anyone experienced mold on this decking ? I am going through a nightmare with this company. my 45x25 deck is full of black spots , it has been cleaned numerous times , most recently by a factory authorized person and the mold is back with a vengence. however other horizontal surfaces in the area including pressure treated lumber are mold free?????????????????????????????????

Comments (5)

• profsju
    12 years ago

Fiberon professional decking
    Posted by robinp711@aol.com on January 15th, 2009 10:20 AM
    In reply to Fiberon Pro decking by grok12 on January 22nd, 2008 04:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

9 of 9 people found this post helpful

Post Reply : Watch this Post
    I have a 3000 sq. foot Fiberon deck and after eight months, it was covered with mold. I called the company and they told me that "mold was common." They told me to use bleach and power wash. My "low maintenance, easy to maintain, never needs any treatment" deck took over twelve hours to clean. Within 2 months after that initial cleaning, the deck is again covered with mold. The wood fibers in composite decking "fosters the growth of mold and mildew." The company refuses to acknowledge its advertising is false and deceptive.
    The product is a nightmare. Consumers Report (July 08) also found Fiberon decking to mold within one year. The company claims mold is environmental. The problem is that Fiberon should NOT be used in any climate that has rain or snow! UPDATE: JANUARY 2, 2012 It is now four years and my redwood "never fade" deck is various shades of pink. The company finally agreed to have my deck cleaned. They hired a local company, PAID $5,500, and it took 6 men over 150 hrs. to scrub the mold off. Not very "easy to maintain." Obviously, after many complaints the company formed their own team to clean decks in the Northeast. They have cleaned my deck three times and each time the mold is back within six to eight weeks. It has cost me thousands of dollars to clean this deck each year. I am also very concerned about the health ramifications of children and elderly people walking on a deck covered in mold. I had the mold on the deck professionally tested and am awaiting that report. It is illegal to make false claims about a product and I do not know how this company has gotten away with lying to the public for so long! Since the company's executives have not been very ethical, I have been forced to institute a law suit. I know of a number of other people who have the same problem, but have just given up fighting with Fiberon.

• Doug10965
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this company should be ashamed of themselves , i have been going through this since spring of 09, i think a class action lawsuit is in order. there must be several people out there in the same situation.

• HBSSLaw
    11 years ago

Consumer-rights law firm Hagens Berman filed a lawsuit on behalf of owners of Portico composite decking alleging that it the decking is defective and prone to mold and fungal growth that results in large black spots. The lawsuit claims that manufacturer Fiberon refuses to live up to its warranty obligations to replace or repair the decking. Consumers can learn more about the lawsuit here: www.hbsslaw.com/portico.

• maryanne2008
    11 years ago

any opinion on whether the issue is just with portico or does it carry over to Horizons fiberon?

• bruey
    11 years ago

Unfortunate for you all, I have told people from the very start that 100% composite decking is open grain and will take lots of care, most people I talk to today I push to wood if they don't want to upgrade to encapsulated or pure PVC. Honestly, it won't mater if it were timber teck, trex or any of the other composite deckings, they all are tough to keep clean. Having said that I did use a product from super deck that was called composite deck sealer and used it on a friends deck, yes it was a bear to get clean but it has been 3 years and still no problems.