Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garapa + Snow/Ice

Posted by doogan123 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 8:35

Hi all

So i finished my Garapa porch in September - Cleaned it off with woodrich citralic and stained with woodrich stain - looks fantastic.

My question is for the snow and Ice - I have steps and a small portion under my portaco that will be hit - how can i maintain it ( within reason)

Can I put any type of salt alternatative on it for snow melt?
Will shovelling destroy the wood?

what do you guys typically do to?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garapa + Snow/Ice

Do not put rock salt,or an alternatative, on a Garapa project.For a lot of reasons a couple being 1 chem ,salt, geting into the surface checks 2 coated fasteners would start to go quickly even high grade ss screws will not put up with exposure to rock salt,chem, for long.

A snow shovel will leave scrapes gouges in the decking. J.

o
RE: Garapa + Snow/Ice

Get a big push broom with really stiff bristles. That should take care of the snow. For ice... I don't know. When I go skiing up in the Sierras all the lodges have mats over the outside stairs and decks that provide traction even when covered with ice. I've seen some made of rubber with holes- those would be good for your Garapa deck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here