Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
screwing down new deck planks

Posted by sharpstick (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 7:50

I'm replacing old dry rotted deck planks. The old frame looks intact under the top quarter inch, so I am using slightly longer deck screws.
The new PT deck planks are heavy with the PT chemicals and I've already bought the first trailerload and they are airing out to dry a bit. Is it okay to screw them down immediately, or do they need to dry out more? I would like to install the rest as soon as I bring them home.
When can I coat them with deck finish? And what kind? The last batch was painted with supposedly premium deck stain which didn't last at all. I plan to use an opaque finish this time to make them last longer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: screwing down new deck planks

The screws will go in much easier when the boards are wet than dry, just butt them tight when laying them.

An opaque finish means semi-solid stain, a mistake on a deck floor imo. I would suggest TWP rustic for a treated pine deck.

o
RE: screwing down new deck planks

By "rustic", are you referring to the color? TWP has several products, 100 and 1500 both have a rustic color. I can't find much information on the differences between their products, (except the price).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here