Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigkahuna_gw

Ipe porch /deck with pics finally complete

bigkahuna
14 years ago

Well almost complete ..No wiping stain /sealer yet. Waiting for spring to seal. But we did get the cable rail and ipe handrail put up finally! 1x6 ipe, screwed down, ipe handrail, trex pvc trim, Cablerail, Raileasy stainless turnbuckles, aluminum powder coated support posts. Glad to finally get it done. Preserves the views to the lake beautifully ! Now just have to do a bit of sanding and staining in spring ughhhh.

Comments (13)

• aidan_m
    14 years ago

Great deck, love the cable rail.

Are the limestone bricks a natural material from your area? They give the house a sense of place. It reminds me of central Texas where I grew up. Are you going to use the limestone for landscaping and retaining walls to finish the backyard? That would look really cool.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks aidan, The stone is cultured ( ohio limestone look). The headers, sills and stone pier caps are limestone. I would love to see some landscaping walls in stone but thats a budget issue that hasnt been decided yet. For now we have some dirt to be moved from her brothers house around the corner we just finished to help fill in the hillside. It will likely be tiered but exact details I havent worked out yet. Probably have a landscape designer work with it over the winter. The house is one I designed for my GF and helped her GC it along with one for her brother. Hope to have her in it in the next 3-4 weeks

I do happen to love the Texas limestone look. Theres a few really talented architects down there that get alot of press in the magazines that use it very nicely

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

A roof under that decking would have been nice. J.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All in good time John mon ! Not a priority at the moment. No patio yet below either so its not critical and the main level is where most of the use will be. Any issue with ventilation if you put water draining ceiling ?

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Very nice look. I didn't realize Trex was making/selling PVC trim material. I think PVC is a good application for trim, but there had been weak distribution. So are the posts wrapped PVC over something?

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

I put on a TemberTeck under deck drain system one time never again they just clog up to easyly the gutter is club e, are really spendy and puting lights thru them is risky. Of course ventalation is an issue with standing wet leaves and dirt.

Clean looking job,keeping the cable washers from dimpling the post wrap must have been fun. J.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Trex trim seems to be a bit less dense /heavy than Azek but was less expensive. It also was slightly less bright white. This was shown to be the case because all the trim on the house is Trex PVC except the sheets ie. the gable triangles because they didnt offer it. So beware of small issues like this. Im not sure who is best among Azek, Versatex,Koma, Kleer , Trex and others. I wish I had researched the installation /bonding of the trim a bit more ahead of time. There are issues of expansion and contraction you need to deal with, especially on longer pieces. Yes the columns were wrapped in Trex trim. I used 1x12 on the larger ones and 1x8 on the smaller ones. They were first built up over 6x6 PT posts. John. No problem with dimpling ???? The turnbuckles attach using 3-1 1/2" stainless steel screws. Like I said I am most concerned about expansion and contraction on longer spans and filling some gaps and nail holes. Im looking into Bond & Fill, Gorilla pvc, and Trimbonder for this issue as we speak to address it on this and future project. Not sure yet what the ceiling will end up being. I had considered using metal barn siding sloped out to a gutter but nothing solid yet.

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

Nice work! Can't wait to see it stained. Does the deck get morning or afternoon sun?

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Weedy..The beauty is it gets sun most of the day. It has almost perfect southern exposure so I designed it do get a afternoon winter sun but the summer sun is shielded reasonable well. It therefore doesnt get the harsh afternoon sun but you get beautiful sunsets all year round. Its also at the eastern end of the lake and gets nice breezes coming across the lake. Hopefully it will keep cooling costs to a minimum as well.

• gopintos
    14 years ago

Very Very Nice

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Gopintos. Im really happy with how it has turned out

• cheerpeople
    13 years ago

Well.
    You've had it for a little while. still happy with it?
    Considering something like this for our new build so LMK

Also wondering if you are having a mildew problem with the deck material. I've read some people do.
    Karen

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still like it so far but she has yet to stain /finish. Not sure if she is going to leave it natural or not. Not a fun staining job if she does LOL. No mildew problems as far as I can tell. It has almost direct southern exposure and decent breezes across the lake to keep it somewhat dry after rains