Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_home

Alternative decking options

scott_home
13 years ago

My existing deck boards are in really bad shape. I am looking to replace them with something more durable and less maintenance. The current joists OC is 24" that rules out most of the composites.

Anyone has any experience with reinforced fiberglass underlayment (http://www.gratedex.com/)? It seems to be very cool but it is very costly ($10 /sf before laying tiles). Can a cement backer board provide the same underlayment support for the stone/tiles on top? How about the moisture consideration below the board?

By the way, aluminum decking is an option. You can get a much better deal by getting the deck boards from aluminum extrusion companies directly ($3-$5 /lf). But my wife may not like the look...

How about fiberglass decks? ie. StrongDek from StrongWell

Scott

Comments (4)

• anthonyxa
    13 years ago

Hi Scott

you also have the option of installing Brazilian IPE Wood(pronounced EEpay) that would cost slightly a bit more than the composite decking but if treated properly every year IPE will last for a very long time

the only way I would recommend a installation of either pavers or tiles would be to use SILCA Grates the only problem is that your frame structure would have to be built to accommodate the size of the silca grates that would be installed over your framing afterward you can install anything you like on top, tiles or pavers

that option would cost a bit more, more than installing beautiful IPE Wood

feel free to visit our website so you can see the look of the ipe and get some ideas for your project

hope that helps

Anthony
    City Decks New York

Here is a link that might be useful: City Decks New York

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

For an existing frame in good condition, joists spaced at 24"....

It is a no brainer to use 5/4" Ipe or another S. American wood.

• scott_home
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the replies. My lower deck is about 1600 sf and the upper deck is about 400 sf. The cost of material is very important to me.

The Silca grates look promising but the grate itself is about $5.5/sf shipped. The pavers are extra. And I need to add more joists to make it 16" OC. From what I read, a NW contractor got the grate for 2.50 /sf. But it is a contractor price...

IPE is expensive in my area. It is about $10 /lf. And I will not be routinely staining it. Too much work for me to maintain a wood deck. I want to build a structure that serves me instead of me serving it.

I may consider a composite deck if all things fail.

Anyone has any experience with AWS joist plate system? The plates are only $1 /sf based on 24" OC. But I need to find the architectural concrete slabs that have a high flexural strength. I really like a hard surface deck. Very low maintainence, extremely durable, and good appeal.

Scott

• daisiesrme
    8 years ago

What was the final result of this project? I have a wrap around porch that is half wood and half concrete (concrete existed before the wooden part was added) I really want everything to blend as one solid surface. I have searched tiling a wooden deck and just happened onto this thread. I would love to do porcelain tiles on the whole porch and wondering about the silica grates. Thanks for any help :)