Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growingadvice

Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete

L A
10 years ago

I'm not sure which part of the forum this question is most appropriate for, so I'll ask it here:

hi,
I'm having a concrete walkway poured in the next couple of days. I live in Western MA and am worried about ice melt damaging the concrete.
not very big, about 240sq ft.
I've read that there are sealers out there that will not allow that to happen, but everyone says theirs is the best!

Can anyone recommend some? Or what I can do to melt ice without damaging the concrete?

Of course, not putting down ice melt, is just looking for someone to get seriously hurt.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Call Prosoco.

They have very good products and I think some of their densifying agents will work in your application.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prosco Concrete Products

• concretexpert
    9 years ago

There are many sealing products out there that make outrageous claims. If you are not a chemist, you are right it can be hard to tell who is telling the truth. Or worse yet, many people are quick to give advice on subjects they really aren't experts in.

1. In order to keep salt out of your concrete you want fluids to get in. Namely water carrying salt is what penetrates and damages (breaks csa bonds) your slab.

2. You want something that will last and not have recoat every year.

3. There is one category of product that will fit your needs. A siloxane/ silane modified acrylic sealer will offer protection for about 2-3 years. Depending if the slab is stamped or just brush finish will determine the gloss level of sealer you will want. Stamped is normally high gloss to enhance color variations.

4. One other category of excellent sealers is completely silicon base. These sealers bond awesome, come in satin or high gloss, hold up under UV and protect from salt extremely well.
    There are only two manufacturers that I know of because they are both patented. Adsil is one brand and Heal and Seal is the other. You can find Heal and Seal at http://www.walttools.com/heal-and-seal/

5. If you put a high gloss sealer down I would use silica sand or Tru Grip as a slip resistant additive. Otherwise the slab will be slippery without ice.

Also, do not just use a densifier to try to protect against salt damage. They are just silica or silica salts that react with portland or free lime - if it is available in the slab, to make more concrete on a micro scale. While this may make the concrete a little less permeable- salt will no doubt still get in and damage it.

Hope this helps

• PRO
    Lustro Italiano
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Each scenario is a bit different. However, there is usually a product (or a combination of products) that can be used to get the best effect. Our parent company produces more than one type of concrete sealer because of that fact.

https://www.tenax4you.com/water-solvent-concrete-sealers-s/2042.htm

Determining which product(s) work the best is simply a matter of speaking with a technician and explaining the exact application and letting the tech explain the best way to use the products. I hope that helps.

• Seabornman
    4 years ago

We used to tell clients to avoid salt for the first winter. We also used an anti-spalling sealer. Meadows is a respected brand for construction chemicals. Their version is https://www.wrmeadows.com/lin-seal-penetrating-anti-spalling-compound/

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Seal Krete clear-seal would be my suggestion, have worked in paint department for 10 years at Lowe’s. Resists chlorine and salt products, now for how many years, cannot predict, see reviews. Also any clear coat or any coating product for that matter will be slick when wet unless you treat cement surface with a roughening agent first to make the surface ‘not smooth’ like an etching product which will improve the adhesion of the coating product as well. Hope this helps.