Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mayday! Mahoganey Railings Costing a Fortune to Maintain!

Posted by oncapecod (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 21:48

In 2003 we bought a house that had big deck (2000 sq ft) with beautiful, wide (10 inch), thick (2 inch), mahogany top railings of unknown age. We made the decision to match these with a series of smaller mahogany top and bottom rails at other locations around the outside the house. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, not so much. These have proven to be a nightmare to maintain. Every year we have been paying thousand of $ to have these mahogany rails sanded then (marine) varnished. We live on the ocean which obviously compounds the problem. At this point, I am ready to give up, and replace all railing with something, anything, that needs no maintenance. However, everything that I've looked at looks like cheap plastic, not even an attempt to copy the grain of wood. I'd love any suggestions for anything that might help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mayday! Mahoganey Railings Costing a Fortune to Maintain!

Stop using the marine varnish and go to an oil based stain from woodrich

o

We are actively cruising sailors living on a boat and have a lot of teak. It's a constant battle for us, between the sun and the salt water.
When we bought our boat all the teak was varnished, and every year we had to sand it all off and start again.
Then we started using Cetol.
As long as you keep ahead of it, and being land based you won't have some of the challenges we have, you can keep your mahogany.
Once more you'll have to sand it down to bare wood, then Start with an initial application of 6 coats. Then recoat it, just do a light sand and recoat, every 6 months or so. It's not quite as shiny as varnish, but it's a nice finish and a heck of a lot easier to maintain.
The caveat is that if you miss your recoating it starts to peel and then you're right back into sanding and refinishing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cetol_article_Sail_magazine

o

I have switched to Cabot's Australian Timber Oil for all my deck and bench surfaces. The bench was last stained over three years ago and still looks well coated. We just stained the old deck after filling the cracks with a stainable outdoor wood filler. finished about September 1. It gives a glossier seal than most stains. You never use more than one coat or it gets shiny and a bit sticky. Only problem so far is dust that washes off the roof of our house and seems to stick to the surface unless mopped off. I haven't mopped it yet).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here