Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peel & Stck membrane under planking?

Posted by dwpc (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 20:41

Rebuilding an existing 40 ft x 20 ft deck framed with 4x10 joists on 24" ctrs. I'm staying with the original system because of the expense of new footings. The old joists were heavily rotted on their top surfaces. I plan to apply 6" peel & stick bituminous membrane (the kind used for roofing) to the upper face of the new 4x10s before planking with 2x6 redwood to ensure against future moisture and rot problems. Is this common practice? Is there any downside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peel & Stck membrane under planking?

Its not a good idea going the expence of new redwood decking fastened to heavily rotted joists. Not good at all.

If your bound to do it use Copper Napthenate. J.

o

John, it sounds to me like he is replacing those rotted joists. "new 4x10's".

No downside that I am aware of, except cost and labor, of course. It is a upgrade, that we offer.

o

john hyatt:
All the rotted joist are replaced with new 4x10s. The membrane is for "insurance" and the contractor is charging only for the material; next to nothing in the total cost. I think the rot in the original was mostly due to the fact that the old planks were nailed, not screwed.

o

I gotcha.

Still if insurance is what your after I still recomend Termin-8 over the modified roofing. 4x10 now that is a major joist !!!! J.

o

JH:
"4x10 now that is a major joist !!!! J."

It's pretty stout. My contractor suggested painting a big "H" in a circle on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here