Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting New Roof on Porch

Posted by splais (splais1@gmail.com) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 20:01

My back porch is about 50x9 and attached to the house with 2x6 support beams every two feet. The roof is roll roofing over plywood base. The roof really needs replacing. The house was built in 1991 and the plywood used looks like it was maybe 3/8 at best. Anyway I'm looking into a new patio roof as a DIY project. The support structure is good, it's only the plywood roof that needs replacing.

I have two questions.

1. I'm thinking of doing a new roof with something other than plywood and asphalt, using some kind of aluminum sheeting. Will be much cheaper and easier, we'll easier anyway. Is this a viable option?

2. Will doing this impact value of house? I.e., a solid plywood roof consider better quality than sheeting?

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting New Roof on Porch

First off, plywood is sheathing, so, no worries there.

If it were me, I would rip out the existing down to the porch framing, add either 1/2" or 5/8" plywood, 50 pound tar paper and regular 30 year three tab shingles. Of course, all the appropriate flashing, etc.

This would both look nice and last a long time. And, not be very costly either!! :)

o

That's pretty much what I decided was the only reasonable thing to do. That along with painting the underside. I had actually thought about putting breadboard on the underside to clean it up and look good. Then I got looking at available things and found grooved pine sheeting. So now I'm wondering if I could use the grooved pine instead of the plywood with three tab roofing on top. Anyone comments?

o

Make certain that the rafters for the porch will be strong enough to carry the additional weight of heavier plywood, and the roof shingles as what you have now is more than likely 3 tab and most all roof's these days are Dimensional or Architectural type shingles (which will be heavier) as well as the potential weight of the beadboard.

o

The support rafters are 2x6's on 24" centers. The current roofing is roll roofing. Both the to thin original plywood and roofing are shot.

o

Definitely check the load calcs of your proposed roof before you move forward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here