Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck covering basement window

Posted by evelyn.ann (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 18:49

We have one of those tiny windows in the basement at ground level. Still, it would let in a lot of light EXCEPT for the fact that the deck is built above the window. Deck is elevated about 9" off the ground.

I've been trying to brainstorm ideas for un-blocking the window and getting some light into the basement. Thinking along the lines of carving a semi-circular portion out of the deck (think, window well) and then putting in something translucent in its place.

But I can't think of anything that would be strong enough that you could still walk on it (glass block obviously would not work).

I have seen pictures where they cut a square portion out of the deck and then added a railing, but unfortunately my deck is too small that I don't think that would work.

Any ideas on how to let the light in? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck covering basement window

With all the energy efficient lighting that is available, why not just add more light fixtures within the basement?

o
RE: Deck covering basement window

steel grating. It's what we set on window wells where they have to be a part of the patio. Most shops that do iron rails will be able to cut a panel of grating to fit and address the ends. If you want to get fancy and you have composite decking you could even have the grating powdercoated to match.

I wouldn't go semi-circular if it's going to be set flush with the decking though. All that'll do is call attention to it. Also more of a PITA to deal with. Keep it simple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here