Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front Yard is our Backyard - Patio ideas?

Posted by MattyD (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 18:36

Hi everyone. I've visited often but this is my first post. We are in San Francisco and have no back yard, so the front yard is our only spot for getting outside. We want to demolish an existing concrete slab and replace with a stone patio of some kind, approx. 12 X 12 or so. Our gardener is suggesting decomposed granite as a way to keep costs down but I am concerned about it tracking into the house, getting wet in our foggy climate, etc. We have looked around and it seems that really nice flagstone pavers are out of our budget. Can anyone suggest some low-maintenance, relatively lost-cost alternatives available in our area? I realize this is pretty open-ended but am curious for the group's thoughts on preferred material. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front Yard is our Backyard - Patio ideas?

I can't speak to a source, but, I know flagstone can be had somewhat cheaply in the area (I live in the east bay). If the costing you did only included vendors in the city, you may be looking at premium prices. Getting out of the city into more rural areas for price comparisons could bring flagstone into your budget.

imo, flagstone with a decomposed granite fill looks quite nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here