Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Best solid stain for posts, pergola, etc.

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

We're having a deck built. Decking is Timbertech (yes, I know a lot of people here do not like composite decking, but it's what we've chosen). We're doing cable railings. Not sure yet if the top handrail will be Ipe, another hardwood, cedar or what. The posts, risers and pergola that will be on it, will all be cedar (either wrapped in the case of the posts or solid) that we will finish with a solid stain (white). We're going to pre-finish all of those parts since A.) it's getting a little cold out to be staining and B.) so much easier to do that when it's not attached).

Can anyone recommend the best solid stain for this purpose and offer some suggestions as to the best application method? Our contractor mentioned something about priming, which seemed odd to me since I thought the point of stain was for it to soak into the wood a bit, but I've not done any exterior staining before.

Thank you in advance for your help. I looked through the old posts, but solid stain doesn't seem to be a very popular option here.

Comments (4)