Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jocoyn

Question on brick paver patio

jocoyn
9 years ago

We are just finishing installing a new deck that will be dry underneath and want to eventually install a brick paver patio under it. That is going to take awhile to save up to do this one as the deck was rather expensive (Lock-Dry, 600SF) / Patio would be about 800SF.

Right now there is a mix of gravel and soil under the deck. mainly red clay soil..which I would like my dog to NOT track in or dig in. And if I just put out mulch he will dig.

I read the base for a patio is gravel. I gather crusher run. But do you think I could put down #7 gravel which would keep the dog from digging then work in /cover with sand or granite screenings when time comes to lay the bricks. I am pretty sure crusher run right now would wind up with the dog coated in dust all the time.

I am trying to figure out a base that will keep the dog out of the mud for about a year (shepherd can do some damage and, yes, he gets a lot of exercise) until we can build the patio and gravel is cheap. Getting concrete down there would require a pumper truck with a LONG run of hose.

Any other suggestions? I am thinking the brick pavers make the most sense as they are not that expensive (f=if we do the labor) and we can expand to the garden area pretty easily as we go.

Comments (3)