Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T&G Ipe porch ceiling/ soffit

Posted by lisa1205 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 16:57

Hello all you smart ipe people,

We would like to use 1"x4" T&G ipe for a 3'x12' dropped ceiling/soffit on the (outside) enterance to our house.

My question is how best to install it.
Screw, ss nails w/gun(if even possible)?
If screw, do you do it in the T or the G? I have seen both suggestions on the websites of "good" ipe distributors. Glue no glue?
My next question is whether to have it milled to what someone suggested with a V groove, or installed with a straight edge.
We live in Sothern California and have had great results with our deck- no problems at all.
Any help would be so great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T&G Ipe porch ceiling/ soffit

I vote for ss screws/const adhesive/fasten thru the T. Screws runing thru the G will crush it. J.

o

Thanks John, we can always count on you!
One last pick of your brain.
Milled rounded edge or straight edge? (fron East Teak)

o

I am not a big fan of the V in the middle. I do like the round over in the joint just looks refined. Say Hi to the George for me.

If you do go with the screw install be sure the pre drill dosent go past the ipe and into the framing this makes for sloppy fastining. JonMon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here