Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_g_dc

Garapa deck advice

tom_g_dc
13 years ago

Hi.

My wife and I would like to redo a deck we have on our house that is in poor condition (we estimate it is about 20-25 years old). We really like the look of hardwoods and have been thinking of using Garapa since it is supposed to still be quite durable but not quite as expensive as Ipe.

Our house is from 1939 and is fairly small so I feel the vinyl railing systems, etc... we've seen wouldn't really fit in. We tend to like the simplicity of all wood railings but our contractor says he's having trouble getting access to garapa in the appropriate dimensions for that (I think it is the 2x2s for the balusters he's having trouble with.)

What other woods should we potentially consider for the railings? Would it look strange to use ipe railings with garapa floor boards? Is there anything less expensive that would blend well but not have longevity issues?

I know these is a very open ended questions but I'd love to get any suggestions from others who have built/seen garapa decks on what fits in well.

Thanks.

Comments (2)