Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
concrete side yard?

Posted by willajo (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 14:09

Would kindly appreciate any feedback you may have.

We have a small side yard often filled with cat poop and weeds. Our neighbor is rebuilding his concrete block wall and has kindly offered any excess concrete from his footing for us to use on home projects.

We are thinking of finishing the side yard in concrete sloping to a drainage reservoir of some sort against the concrete block wall and draining out the front of the house to the street.

Are there any cons to this we should think about? I have attached a picture, you will see some access areas to under the house. We live in socal and rain has not been too excessive.. but you never know these days.

My only worries are whether this would be sufficient for drainage.. or if we would be better off with a mix of concrete and gravel. (when it rains we usually get a few inches of standing water that goes away in a half an hour or so. Also, our plumbing cleanout runs under that area and I guess if there would be an issue with that we would have to rip out the concrete.

thoughts? Your advice is very much appreciated from this novice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: concrete side yard?

I take the concrete and make the walk, of course, making sure the draining, your clean-outs and access are all kept in mind.

Make sure your neighbor will have enough extra to do your whole walk. :p

o

I'd go with landscape fabric (for the weeds) and coarse stone (for the cats).

This post was edited by dennisgli on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 7:44

o

Yeah I think it would be sufficient for the drainage as you say that there does not rain much. And when it rains then the water recedes within half an hour.

o

Concrete pavers are designed to withstand the elements. If installed correctly, they can withstand freezing winters and extremely hot summers. They can be used in areas that receive lots of water, and areas where it doesn't rain much at all.

o

We decided to do the concrete and it looks great! Much nicer and clean and no cats using it as their litterbox

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here