Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you recommend 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardibacker for porch floor?

Posted by springplanter (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 13:29

We will be installing either ceramic tile or stone over the screened porch floor underlay hardibacker. This is a 14 x 14 room over an insulated basement space.

I have seen both 1/4 and 1/2 in hardibacker recommended for floors Which is best for this space?

And in this case, should the hardibacker be installed with thin-set underneath?

Thanks for your replies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you recommend 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardibacker for porch floor?

"And in this case, should the hardibacker be installed with thin-set underneath?"

In EVERY CASE hardibacker must be installed with thinset underneath. Any contractor who omits this step is a HACK!

Sorry to shout, but this is one thing that really aggravates me, contractors who don't read the installation manual, or refuse to follow it because they know other guys who cut corners and they have been getting away with it.

And to answer the first question, 1/4" is for floors. The reason is you don't want to overload the floor. Cement board underlayment does not add any stiffness to the subfloor. It actually causes a bit of sag, due to the additional weight. If your subfloor is too thin, or has too much deflection, the joists need to be strengthened, or the subfloor must be replaced with thicker material.

1/2" cement board is for walls, designed to fasten directly to the studs. It behaves differently in a vertical position, sag is not a factor.

And for a semi-exterior space that will be getting wet sometimes, I would recommend installing a schluter membrane over the cement board. This will prevent water from seeping into the floor, and keep the tiles from popping loose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here