Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jejvtr_gw

Estimates for new w.cedar privacy fencing 70' backyard

jejvtr
14 years ago

Hi

I'm in the process of getting estimates for a privacy fence for our backyard.

70' -

I liked this co. and their products - the build their own after specs are agreed upon. They do rec in our location to do 6x6 post vs 4x - which I agree - it can be moist in that location

Hoping someone can offer me some assistance with the estimate

1st proposal has decorative top:

70 linear feet , "Darien cap" decorative cap, pyramid post caps - Premuim white cedar.

MORTISE AND TENON CONSTRUCTION CONSISTING OF 2 X 4 INCH BACKING RAILS [ AS

TENONS ],1 X 6 INCH TONGUE AND GROOVE BOARDS ON SOLID PORTION OF FENCE AND 1-5/8

X 1-5/8 INCH SPINDLES FOR DARIEN STYLE TOPPER.SECTIONS TO BE DRESSED WITH 1 X 6

INCH BOTTOM FASCIA BOARD,1 X 4 INCH TOP FASCIA BOARD AND 1X4 INCH BULL NOSE TOP

FENCE CAP.ALL FASCIA BOARDS AND 2X4 BACKING RAILS TO HAVE ROUTER OGEE

DETAIL.PROPOSAL BASED ON NINE SECTIONS AND TEN POSTS.(TOTAL PRICE $4,198.00

INCLUDES CT SALES TAX)

2nd - W/O decorative topper

Scope of Work Being Quoted:

WE PROPOSE TO FURNISH MATERIAL AND LABOR TO INSTALL APPROX.70 LINEAR FEET

OF 72 INCH HIGH DRESSED CONTEMPORARY SOLID CUSTOM PRIVACY FENCE INSTALLED

WITH 6X6 INCH POSTS WITH PYRAMID STYLE POST CAPS.ALL MATERIAL TO BE PREMIUM

GRADE WHITE CEDAR AND TO CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS.SECTIONS TO

BE SQUARE MORTISE AND TENON CONSTRUCTION CONSISTING 1 X 6 INCH TONGUE AND

GROOVE BOARDS DRESSED WITH 1 X 6 INCH BOTTOM FASCIA BOARD,1 X 4 INCH TOP FASCIA

BOARD AND 1X4 INCH BULL NOSE TOP FENCE CAP.ALL FASCIA BOARDS AND 2X4 BACKING

RAILS TO HAVE ROUTER DETAIL.PROPOSAL BASED ON NINE SECTIONS AND TEN POSTS.

(TOTAL PRICE $3,454.00 INCLUDES CT SALES TAX)

(SEE ATTACHED SITE SKETCH AND CAD DRAWING OF FENCE LOCATION AND STYLE)

1st quote = $59.97/ft

2nd quote = $49.34/ft

I live in Fairfield County Ct -

Does the construction and materials sound good quality?

Is the pricing high? fair?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to add - he will set the posts in the ground not cement - I inquired about cement, he said that he doesn't like to use it, but occasionaly does, if they can't get the post far enough down - I'm not sure how far that is 2'or 3'?
    Thanks in advance

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

Its amazing how much fencing cost isn't it. We had something similar done 20 years ago in a prior home...prces have gone up! you might want those posts cemented...we had a few issues over the years. Also, check the directiion of the wind...over the years our solid 6' high fence gradually started to lean from being in the winds path. Perhaps a type of fence that lets wind flow thru is better...not sure.

• aidan_m
    14 years ago

You are gettin quotes for white cedar, not Western Red Cedar. White cedar has 5-10 yr life expectancy. The wood is lower quality than you expect. Even premium white cedar is not in the same league as WRC.

The prices sound fair, even for the white cedar.

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you !

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Eileen,

Privacy fences can suffer significant wind loading, but much depends on where you are, your house versus the neighbors, landscaping, wind breaks, etc. Houses close to one another can sometimes act as wind breaks, other times they can contribute a venturi effect and actually increase wind loading.

For a 6' fence I use 10' posts and go down 42" - 48". Frost depth in our area is 42".

If they do use concrete, have them dig the hole, then put in a few inches of gravel, then tamp the gravel. Then set the post and add a few more inches of gravel. Then pour the concrete. As mentioned by the other posters.

By doing that you end up with a concrete collar around the post instead of the post sitting in a "bowl" of concrete, the bowl can hold water. The life of the post can be extended markedly by using a collar instead of full immersion.

Regardless, for a 6' tall privacy fence, due to wind loading 2' of burial won't cut it. Shallow burial depth combined with concrete can actually exacerbate frost heaving.

The pricing is fair. Have you been to Rings End in Darien? I was there this morning to pick up some panel molding.

They have a 6' cedar privacy fence, not sure if it'd suit your needs in terms of sturdiness or style, the fence you're getting does sound more sturdy and more decorative. Rings End panels are about $115 per 6' tall by 8' long section, and 5" square 10' cedar posts are about $40. Their fencing is not mortise/tenon though.

I do need to say that I always build my own fencing, so I've never purchased fence from Rings End and because of that I've never looked at their fencing up close and personal with a critical eye. But it doesn't sound nearly as substantial as your proposed fence.

Best, Mongo

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mongo
    Always a pleasure hearing you weigh in! & You were right here! could have stopped by
    Thanks for the info on the fencing - the co. does build their own according to cust needs/specs & I do like the M&T construction - the back of the yard where the fence - Our home has a south westerly exposure - I think the winds are more side to side yard than front to back
    Just sent the guy who gave the above estimate a reply:
    "30 to 36 inches down when dirt tamping wood posts and we use the dirt that is removed to install the post. If additional material is needed we would add sand and gravel. If we cannot get the depth we feel comfortable we would use concrete to secure the posts properly"

I'll see what he says re: your rec method which seems to make more sense from a longevity standpt.
    Thanks again

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

If your frost depth is that deep, along with mongo's advise, you want to chamfer the bottom of the hole enough for the gravel as well a good bit of concrete to "belly out" in order to keep the post from heaving up in a freeze. The chamfer at the base acts as an "anchor".

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks sierra

• mrmichaeljmoore
    14 years ago

I used the cedar privacy fence and the cedar 6x6 posts from Rings End.
    Fence was installed in November 2006 by a Fairfield County contractor (recommended by Rings End).
    Fence has held up great.....with no problems.
    Posts were installed without concrete.

Below is a link to the Gardenweb thread where I inquired about staining the fence. It shows some pics of my fence.

Ultimately, we decided to let it go gray. For 2 reasons......One, one less maintenance item for me to deal with, and Two, we prefer the gray look....it blends in better with the landscaping.

Two more pics of fence from the front yard (taken in Summer 2009). One note, the front portion of the fence that meets up with the house was installed last year in Oct 2008.
    {{gwi:39731}}

Summer 2009:

Picture taken August 2008:

Install November 2006:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar fence

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Mr Michael that was so nice of you to take time to do that! Much appreciated.

• mrmichaeljmoore
    14 years ago

No problem, glad to help.
    This forum has helped me over the years (especially with my deck), so I try to give back when I can.

Not sure if you are interested, but if you are looking to get another estimate, I can put you in contact with the guy I used.
    He does landscaping and fencing does work all over Fairfield County.

just let me know.

mm