Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomas

deck as a roof with skylight?

kokomas
9 years ago

Hey all, I have been reading through some of the posts in this forum and decided to join up. My wife and I are working with a contractor to remodel a brownstone and are planning an elevated deck (11 ft wide and 20 ft long) from our parlor level kitchen (roughly 9 feet above the yard). Beneath the deck will hopefully be a watertight screened in enclosure (we get plenty of mosquitos). This has been talked about a lot and I see several options (and pardon my lack of technical language, i'm trying to relay what i have heard from other people):

sloped aluminum decking
sloped rubber membrane roof with flat deck built on top (floating deck joists?)
sloped cement patio surface as both the roof and the floor
(in addition i see some other potential solutions on this site)

However, the only natural light our master bedroom receives is through a wall of glass sliding doors that will open up to the space beneath the deck. As we would like to allow some light in, we are considering leaving a portion of the overhead area undecked. This makes the screening in of the space a bit of an issue though.

We have also been looking at some deck applications where there is acrylic or glass built into the deck floor and this lets light through to the level below.

A couple questions:

Can you point me to thread or resource discussing this?
Can I combine a deck/ceiling concept with a skylight and does this rule out any approaches?
Has anyone done this and do you have advice/pictures? Is the clear portion of the roof prone to leaking?

thanks so much!

Comments (3)