Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with screened porch...opinions, suggestions, please!

Posted by dorry2 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 11:03

I am having a screened porch built next Spring. The home is in a resort area, backs to woods, so a screened porch is a must. A few questions....

* would you recommend having recessed lighting installed? My feeling is lights attract bugs and I am not sure if we would actually use them, though many of the neighbors have them.

* wooded vaulted ceiling or vinyl soffit, flat ceiling? Just wondering how often would I have to clean that ceiling, if at all? The wood, I am thinking, is probably a more maintenance-free option????

* an interior french door slider will open to the porch, but there is no place for a screen, which is a big disappointment? I thought all sliders come with screens. Because we back to the woods, the gnats, spiders, etc., will likely be a problem and there will be no screen to keep them out of the house (unless we keep the door closed, and in all likelihood, the slider will be kept open Are bugs, spiders a big issue with screened porches? Sorry to sound so ignorant, my parents had a screened porch, but I have no recollection of bugs, etc.being a problem as a young child!!
I was totally oblivious!

*exit from inside of the housem slider to the porch, flush floor, or a step down? Leaning toward the step down. Your thoughts?

* Planning to use Azek on floor, aluminum rails? Good choice?

* anyone use the Super Screen screen? Opinions? Is it really as good as the company claims?

Thanks to all. Really need to finalize these details and appreciate your input, insight, opinions and experience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with screened porch...opinions, suggestions, please!

If its on the south have it all open with a polycarbonate roof. With screens and polycarbonate walls. It will be see through great heat producer in the winter. If on the north have a fire feature(pizza oven) to cook and provide heat in the winter, glass, screen or polly with a covered roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here