Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WAS 'use of stringers on deck steps' final answer

Posted by anita55 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 10:14

Hello, just an ending to my story for those who were giving me advice. The contractor came back in person and replaced the steps, using 10 and 1/2 inch stair tread brackets (which he told me didn't exist), nicely cut steps, and used bolts to fasten. I can feel the difference when I walk on them. They are done in a professional manner, as should have been done in the first place. I still don't understand how he could have told me that there are no 10 and 1/2 inch stair tread brackets. I'll give him credit that he found them and used them instead of insisting on the 8 and 1/2s. Thanks to all who took the time to write. Next time I have a job to be done I will ask questions first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WAS 'use of stringers on deck steps' final answer

You done good Anita.

Not all of us have access to everything. After 30 years in the trades I still learn a few things from the Folks I hire. Your Contractor is a good Dude. Every now and then I have a job that goes wrong just the nature of the business...we fix it no matter what like your Guy. J.

o

Been following without commenting. One thing that stood out from the start aside from the ugly job itself was your contractors willingness to make it right. Glad you are happy now.

o

I am happy with his willingness to fix what was done wrong the first time. I wonder if I had paid him immediately if he would have been so great about re-doing it. I am still a bit disturbed that it had to be done completely over to make it right. I hope he fired the crew that did the original job or sent them somewhere to be trained! Thanks again, all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here