Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salmon_slayer

Messners UV stain for hardwoods

salmon_slayer
14 years ago

While I still love the Ipe deck we installed, get many very favorable comments, and would do it again - my disappointment has been the Messners stain. I would NOT use it again. After 3 months it has faded considerably. I have no issue staining once a year but not every few months. I sent them a note asking if I could have gotten a bad batch or.... For $50 a gallon, I expected more. Its TWP or Woodrich for me next time unless Messners has a good answer. I would have gone with the TWP (100 series?) if I could have gotten it here in Ca. I am in a coastal environment that gets a wet fog this time of year but when it was applied, that was not an issue.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipe/Deck Information

Comments (8)

• noobs
    14 years ago

I just stained my IPE deck with Woodrich. Love the color and look. Will report on how long it lasts

• Linda
    14 years ago

I just used Penofin, I'll do the same.(Right now it looks very rich and beautiful) If I'm not mistaken, I think the Messmers said you had to do it again in 3-6 months, then again in 1 year and as time goes it should last longer? I could be wrong, I read so many of them while comparing it might have even been the penofin! LOL

• noobs
    14 years ago

There is a comparison on abs wood site with penofin and flood. Flood is available at my local HD for less than $20 per gallon. I didn't use Flood because of other mixed reviews I read on various sites. TWP or the Woodrich version seemed to get fair reviews. I can't get TWP100 in my state and I like the Woodrich colors better so I went Woodrich. Downside is $55 per gallon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penofin versus Flood

• riles_j
    14 years ago

Steve,

I think what you experienced in the "nature of the beast". I used TWP 100-series and experienced the same thing. I think linda117 is correct. The first coat fades quickly and I have heard subsequent coats last longer.

In my case I'm not sure it is a fair comparison because I have a huge Hackberry tree overhanging the deck that was overrun with wooly aphids at the end of summer. As the asphids eat on the leaves the leaves secrete this sticky sap that covered everything. After a few weeks the sticky sap turns to black mold and I have been hitting my deck with all kinds of stuff to remove black mold. I have since learned that I can treat the tree in the spring for aphids to keep this from happening. I will restain in the spring and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn' happen again. A real PIA. Had I not been acosting the deck with chemicals to get rid of mold I suspect the TWP would have faired OK, but my feeling is that most stains are going to fair about the same on Ipe (slight differences no doubt). Paying $50/gallon would be tough for me, knowing that the extra $$$ wasn't really going to get me much extra bang. In the end that is what swayed me to TWP. Cost per gallon is about half that.

Good luck.

Riles

• madwing
    14 years ago

steve, have you thought of ordering it straight from twp? i am in the midst of an order from them, and they've not kicked me out for being in california...it ends up being the mfg sealants site, and they have both my shipping and billing addresses and haven't flagged it yet...start at twp100.com, and go from there. two gallons for $55, free shipping.

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, I will give them a try

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Madwing,

I placed an order but it was cancelled. No ship to California. It was a good try though

• tropical_hardwoods
    14 years ago

Steve,
    We sell and ship TWP stains all over the US. We also sell a cleaning product by Woodrich that cleans and brings back the color of Ipe. This process also balances the PH of the wood making the sealer/stain last much longer if the directions are followed (i.e., it is verry important to rinse the cleaner 7-8 times after you are done, it is a base cleaner and an acid neutralizer/brightner). We are getting 1year+ in high sun exposures.