Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difficult deck, help me pick a stain

Posted by mcassel (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 8:05

Hi all,

I have 25x18 roof top deck that has kiln dry pine deck. The deck is 6 months old and I need to stain it. The deck is not our main deck but it's a nice area to entertain. The deck is full sun and based in Atlanta GA. I will have furniture on the deck but it will not be a heavy use area.

The deck is very hard to get equipment to, so I am looking for a stain that does not require much if any prep work for both the first coat and additional coats, like sanding pressure washing etc. I am open to most finishes both in terms of color and composition.

From the research that I have do so far I am leaning towards Penofin. Downside is does not last that long, but the major benefit is that additional coats can be applied at will, no need to sand, pressure wash or clean (as long as your happy with the color).

can anyone suggest any other products I should look at?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difficult deck, help me pick a stain

TWP. No prep needed on the first coat or an any added coats. J.

o

that sounds great. I see they have a TWP 100 and 1500 (which is the new "updated" 500?) to choose from.

Which is the better product? I live in GA and can get either.

thanks again for your help

o

I havent tried the 1500 series yet,although I want to, I still use the 100 series and have for a number of years.

J.

o

From looking up TWP it looks like a great and easy product to use. thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here