Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

My Patio/Pergola project

v1rt
13 years ago

I'm almost done. :) Other things like the pillars with light, pillars for the posts, grill area and retaining wall chairs will be implemented next year. I've already spent the budget for this project.

Here are the pics. Area is 630 sqft.

August 29. This is how it looked when I started.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

September 11

{{gwi:301823}}

{{gwi:301824}}

September 26

{{gwi:432033}}

{{gwi:303916}}

{{gwi:303918}}

{{gwi:303920}}

{{gwi:303921}}

{{gwi:303923}}

October 2

{{gwi:1349152}}

{{!gwi}}

October 9

October 12, I still work on it even at night since I get home 6:30pm and it's already dark

October 13, started late again since I have work

October 15, here is the latest as of today. :)

Comments (20)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Huge progress yesterday and today. I also completed the pergola. For now, it will be like that but next year. I'll add those 2x2s.

Here is the latest shot.

{{!gwi}}

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

It looks really nice - and large. Will you be enlarging the patio to have some sunny sitting area too and a place for your grill?

Good job and having built both a paver patio and pergola can attest to the effort required.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The grill area will be on the left. I'm still not sure if I should make a low wall for it like 3ft tall. I'm thinking of using 2x4 pressure treated wood and cement backer boards with veneer stones.

For the sunny area, the area where I am facing is a sunny area. Back of house is facing west. The sun starts around 12:30pm during summer. Actually, it starts to get sun around 10:30am but not all.

The area where you see the incomplete firepit will have a low wall(sitting) and 2 pillars at the end. Looks like I will be able to put some since I have extra stones but I don't think I will be able to make those pillars.

Thanks so much!!! :)

• Susan
    13 years ago

very nice!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this project this weekend. I have 6 remaining pavers to cut. However, this morning, I cut 4. So I have 2 more remaining to cut and I'll do it tomorrow morning. :D

Then if I feel like working on Thursday morning, I will fix the edges by adding more crushed stones and screenings so that the plastic edging have something to nail on. It's just 4 or 5 pavers. On Saturday, I'll rent the vibratory compactor again. Finally spread the interlocking sand.

I'll post the final pictures.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

2 pavers done this morning.

I'll dig the area so I can have room for the crushed stones. Will keep you posted. :)

• jdechris
    13 years ago

Wow! It looks wonderful! What is your budget for the project? Did you use pressure treated lumber?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi jdechris,

My budget for this is around $3k. I think I am at $2500 now or $2400. It includes all the materials. It's a 630-650 sqft paver patio with firepit and sitting. I used pressure treated lumber for the pergola.

Here are some latest shots as of today. I will work on the pavers that I removed(seen on picture) tomorrow. The affected area didn't have enough of crushed stones so I had to extend it. Lucky I still have CA-6 crushed stone and screenings.

{{gwi:432036}}

{{gwi:432038}}

{{gwi:432039}}

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Expect some more movement with those 6 x 6 pt posts.

Its would be a good idea to wrap them with 3/4 material. J.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi john_hyatt. Please tell me more about the movement in 6x6 posts. All please tell me what to wrap them with. What is 3/4 material?

Thanks!

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

Wood is always moving, especially when it's outside. Rain, snow, sun, humidity...all those things, and more, will cause wood to shrink, expand, bow, warp, twist, and split. This movement is even more prevalent in pressure treated wood. You buy it at home depot, or lowes...it's wet, and it's been stored in a warehouse. You take it home, and put it in the sun...uh-oh.
    Before you know it, there are big cracks in it, and your 2 by's are cupping. I only mentioned pressure treated because that's what you used for your pergola.
    All wood has movement, so you just build with that in mind, and don't get upset with the end result...over time.
    BTW...Nice job with the pergola. and the pavers.
    Me. I'm partial to Ipe decks over stone pavers. So much nicer to walk on barefoot.

steve

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

3/4 material ya know 1 x6 1x 4.

If you get those pt post out of the sun the movement will stop, if you dont they will deffentley crack,warp and twist and wont stop doing it.

You could use cedar,redwood but not pt 3/4 material. All so put the over lay on as quick as you can thats a big span for the 2 x joists they will start to move around pretty soon too. The over lay will help that out. J.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm really sorry. I'm not that good in terminologies. Can someone please show a picture of what an overlay is?

Thanks.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

The over lay is the 2x2s your thinking to add next year. J

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got it! I should do it soon then. Thanks!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

john_hyatt,

I completed the overlays today. Here are my latest pictures taken today.

{{gwi:432045}}

{{gwi:432046}}

{{gwi:432047}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

quick question folks. We have a grill, just the simple one with wheels. My wife is telling me that we can leave it outside. She bought a cover for it. Is it ok to leave it? I told her that I won't leave the tank outside though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

Yes, have for years. Leave the tank outdoors too. You don't want the risk of gas leaking indoors - house will potentially go b-o-o-m! That's why tank-exchange retailers keep the full ones outside and instruct that empties not be brought indoors.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome! I'm going to put it outside tonight! :D

Thanks so much!