Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fargonorthdakota

Built new cedar deck. I'm sanding now, What comes next?

fargonorthdakota
13 years ago

I just finished my cedar deck on 10/11/2010. I've completed about half the sanding and have been told by different handymen that 1)It should be sealed. 2) It should be stained immediately. and 3)I should wait one year to seal and stain the deck.

I've worked as a framer for the last 12 years but have only built one other deck and never handled any of the sealing and staining so I would appreciate your advice.

I will finish sanding tomorrow and the weather isn't calling for rain for the next three days. What do I do after sanding?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I really don't want to mess this deck up.

Comments (10)

• deckman22
    13 years ago

Why would you sand a brand new cedar deck? I sand the top cap on the rail, but that's it.

What to do now? Apply TWP stain, I would use the cedar color in the 100 series. Let it dry & bust out the beers.

• fargonorthdakota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was my understanding that the stain would not take as well without a light sanding. The 'handyman' that has been helping suggested this.

I had been giving him the benefit of the doubt because I've no pro experience in this area. I frame and that's all.

Now that I've already sanded half the deck, I'm guessing I should finish? Do I rinse the deck or use compressed air to clean the dust off completely?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

• fargonorthdakota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Link below to picture of deck

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Al is right its time for the finish.

May a well complete the sanding. Nice Project. J.

• fargonorthdakota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks John and Al. I wish I had thought to find this forum before starting the project. I checked out both of your sites and you guys do excellent work and really know your stuff. I work as a framer but I just build a place. The things you guys do is so much more 'artistic' I guess you'd say.

It just started raining. I'll need two or three days without rain before staining correct?

Thanks again guys.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Good to see a Fellow Tradesmen that started out in the trenches. Most all of us that put up decks on a Pro nature started out framing.

Use the sprit of a sound mind with the finish most often one day of sun, a couple hours of dry after is all you need puting on twp anyway.

Go Get Em Bo !! J.

• fargonorthdakota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help guys! Next time I do a deck, I'll be stopping by here first. I'll be posting some pics after staining and all.

• weedyacres
    13 years ago

Did you forget your railings?

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Welcome to Fargo!

Yeah...finish the sanding! It's the perfect prep.
    Your new sood will absorb and hold stain EVENLY because you sanded.
    After sweeping/vacuuming, I've wiped down my deck with paint thinner....I was surprised how much more dust came off!

My deck is 15 y/o Redwood.

Faron
    (in Fargo!)

• fargonorthdakota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After much debate about style and function, the railing was added. The color came out so pretty. I'm adding a nighttime picture. The color is exactly what I wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}