Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe decking- too late for end grain sealer

Posted by aj4andy (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 22:34

I just recently had an ipe deck installed. The contractor doing it did not use end grain sealer. Now I'm worried. Question is, is it too late to apply it? He has to come back to finish some other stuff. Should I have him apply anchorseal now? We could get to most ends by removing a couple of the outside boards that line it. It's been about a month or so since most of the wood was cut. I live in NE and it is getting colder and drier quickly here. Some boards have some checking already but most do not yet. A couple of the 4x4 posts have very bad face checking already. Is it a bad idea to seal the ends now after the wood has dried out quite a bit already?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe decking- too late for end grain sealer

I would not worry about it. I did not seal the ends of my boards and they do just fine. You will do more damage trying to remove/seal in my opinion. As far as the posts go, I had some cracking on the posts as well. Again I think that is normal. you should try not to leave the end of the 4x4 exposed to the elements and cover it with end caps or seal (not sure your post style).

o
RE: Ipe decking- too late for end grain sealer

Is this sealing the same thing as waxing the ends? For ipe, I seem to see a lot of reference to wax being used for sealing versus other materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here