Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small deck question

Posted by weezee (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 22:30

We are having a new house built, our plans call for two small decks (8' by 3')with stairs to yard off the rear of the house. We are looking to combine the decks, but do to lot coverage requirements we will need to change the size of deck to 18 feet by 32 inches. With the deck change the deck may not be wide enough to cover both of the sliding glass doors completetly. The deck will be wide enough to allow people to exit/enter easily. With only one side of the door attached to he deck look silly?? (deck is about 60 inches above grade) Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small deck question

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the layout completely, but are you saying there are 2 sets of sliders, and the distance from the outside edge of one to the outside edge of the other is more than 18 feet, and you want to put an 18-foot landing of sorts in front of them? So the landing would stop short of the outside edge of one of the doors?

If so, that would look odd. Why can't you make it go all the way to the ends of the doors? Can you post a sketch of the plans?

o

We have two sliders exiting the rear of the house. Each slider had an 8' wide by 3' deep landing with a set of stairs. Since the construction has begun it appears that entry into the yard may be impeded by one of the stairs. We had received a lot coverage variance and thus are unable to increase the size of the landing without applying for a new variance. The landings are approved to be 24 sq ft each, as long we dont exceed 48 sq ft we are good. The space between the two sliders is 12 feet, each slider is 5 feet. We are contemplating have a singular landing of 18 feet wide by 32 inch. This landing would have a steps in the middle, be wide enough to cover the openings in doors, and would not require a new variance. Hope this helps thanks.
****door**********door****
______**************
______**************
__________****
__________****

o

I'm afraid I'd vote for "odd looking" on your proposed layout. As painful (expensive? time consuming?) as it might be, I'd apply for another variance. I think that would be better than living with an odd looking landing.

Or here's another idea: could you put the landings back at 8 feet in front of each door and then have the stairs go towards the center of the house (towards each other) for one or two steps, then join together in a common landing and the rest of the steps go down into the yard?
****dooor************dooor****
___LLLLLLLLSSLLLLSSLLLLLLLL___
_____________SSSS
_____________SSSS

L=landing, S=step

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here