Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP - Glass Deck Railings - Dead Birds

Posted by andynh (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 22:06

I just bought a new house, and deck has glass paneled railings, so as not to obstruct water views. Day one I noticed 2 dead birds on the deck, from flying into the glass. Cleaned them up, and 30 minutes later another one. Now I have "X's" of blue painters tape on the glass, which obviously cannot be a permanent solution. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP - Glass Deck Railings - Dead Birds

Dress out the birds and have them with cornbread, real tasty!!

Or just let the local cats have them its the green thing to do we just cant keep taking things to the land fill they are already full of trex. J.

o

The decals from windowalert.com will help a lot. Although they need replacing every year or two depending on sun damage. Also make sure there are no bird feeders or anything else that will attract them.

o

just a thought, but could you darken the glass kind of like that used for car windows? BUT could you still see through it to the lake?

o

Place a decoy of an owl or hawk on top of the rails.

o

The decoy's seem like the best option. That or don't clean the glass.

Sorry, we haven't been that helpfull. We have the same problem here with our windows. Hawks chase the birds into them.

o

I like John Hyatt's idea best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here