Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Least Expensive Patio Floor Option

Posted by splais (splais1@gmail.com) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 21:59

Looking for input from anyone who has built or does do the work. Very early stages of trying to find the least expensive option for getting a decent patio floor. In the area between the house and the deck you see in the picture below.

Data. The existing ground level pad is 16' x 15'. The house back door sill is about 8 or 9 inches above the slab. The deck on the other side of the area is about 12" above the existing slab.

I was thinking about laying treated 4x4's for a support structure and laying composite decking over that. But I'm reading that is not a good idea. There are termites. This is in Mississippi. Because of the limited height available, don't knw if a deck would work.

I did some preliminary looking at pouring a concrete slab, but I was getting prices around $6-$8 a sq foot. I want to do a deck/slab that is 16x25.

Any comments appreciated.

This post was edited by splais on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 22:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Least Expensive Patio Floor Option

I don't see how you're going to beat the concrete price with a properly built (read: not floating 4x4s) composite deck. Up here we're at anywhere from $40-60/sq ft installed for composite decking on p/t framing

o

Where are you going to pour the concrete? Last job I had done was $4.50 sq ft for a 12' x 24' pad. I think $6-8, especially for Miss., is high.

o

The high sq ft cost of the concrete must have been for a slab poured around 6-8" thick, correct?

I would see that as being your least expensive solution when you take into consideration termites and the cost of other materials.

I'd say try a brick patio, but you'd still have the expense of building it up to your preferred height. A concrete slab is the way to go, all factors considered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here