Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliep_gw

Black Front Porch?

LeslieP
11 years ago

I recently bought a house with a north facing covered porch. The house has just been resided in gray with white trim and black shutters. I don't like the way the porch looks now and am wondering about staining it black. I have concerns about how that would look, and don't think paint be a good idea. There are wooden steps leading up to the porch. I think it's pressure treated wood and I have no idea if the wood has ever been treated or stained. Now that the rest of the house is done the porch looks unfinished and I am lost about what to do.

Comments (2)

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Try this question in the Home Decorating or Old House forum, bet you will get some good ideas there BUT a photo is always a good thing to share.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

I've seen some of the colored stains in person and I think they're really appealing.

You should use whatever will make you happy, but since you're asking for other opinions... to me, a black floor sounds like it could make the space kind of dark. We used to have a deep-orange porch ceiling (no kidding) and it made the space dark. Including the interior of the living room that looks out there...

That isn't to discourage you... you're the only one who can decide what will suit your house best! Good luck! I know how hard it can be to choose colors!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Front Porch