Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r1campr

?deck structure bolted to poured basement wall

r1campr
12 years ago

I was wondering if the beams or joists can be bolted to a basement wall. My house has a 10 x 10 basement area with poured cement walls not sure how thick yet. This area used to be for a cistern I think, It has a 6 inch concrete slab over it making it an outside porch, located at the center of the house wall. I want to add a deck next to it and tie this deck into the deck at the end of the house (around the corner and over a walk out basement), which has a ledger. The top of the slab is 2 inches lower than the deck around the corner and has a slight slope to it. I was thinking of making this new deck self standing, but it needs to tie into the other deck and will need a 2 inch step somewhere near the corner. So I was thinking of using a ledger where the height is the same as the original deck, probably 4 feet in length down the side of the house, and 40 inches wide to accomodate a gate at the step. then step down 2 " and be flush with the slab. This deck area would be about 10 x 10 and will be over a slope in the yard (about 30 degrees). I am gonna use 4 posts and piers and one more for the corner, braced good. Because this area has a sloped yard, could I bolt through the basement walls for the two beams (parallel to the house) 1/2 inch galvanized bolts with simpson tension ties? Also on a few of the joists (parallel to the slab)? I was going to use 2x12 x3 for the beams and 10" joists, piers dug down to the footers.

I hope I gave enough info on this plan.

Comment (1)