Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diligent_gw

Running out of time which deck stain do I use?

diligent
17 years ago

We have a home in south eastern Pennsylvania. We have bleached, stripped, brightened, and power-washed a 500 sq ft deck located on north end of the house that is prone to moss and mildew build-up. Used Cabot stipping products and finished that phase in September. It has been raining every two to three days since then. Were going to use Cabot SPF48 but read some very negative reports from users. Morning temperatures are now in the mid to low 40's. Should we use Wood Tux, TWP516, Defy, Sikkens SRD, Deck Scape? What is most suitable for these conditions? Running out of time! Wait til Spring? Diligent

Comments (4)

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Diligent,

Use an oil. Almsot all commercially available sealers stink. We have the tightest VOC laws in the country (I am in Delaware County PA) If you have to buy something commercial get something from a paint store. The temps ar still going to be fine into early November. If the deck is older I recommend a paraffinic oil based product. I just started selling Baker's Gray Away and so far everyone loves it. It will bring older wood back to life and condition it as well as provide easy maintenance and recoat.

• ellimay8
    17 years ago

Diligent, we were in the same boat as you with the deck prepped and falling temps. I researched a majority of the products that you listed and more, and decided on the Baker's Gray Away that pressurepros spoke of. It was easy to apply, soaked in nicely and looks beautiful. We applied it a week ago last Saturday, and had a few good warmer sunny days until we actually got 3 inches of snow. I don't generally order a lot of products over the internet, but I found the customer service to be excellent as well.

• diligent
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much! How does one get Baker's Gray Away? Is there a website? Customer Service number? Is it carried by a specific dealer (e.g. MAB Paints, Sherwin Williams, et al)? Couldn't find anything on-line.

Vr,
    diligent

• ellimay8
    17 years ago

Check out Pressurepro's page- he has a link listed for his website and how to order it. He also can give you more specifics about the product itself. From what I understand, it's a smaller company that has sold it's product primarily to contractors. Ken (pressurepros) has recently started getting the word out about it and selling it to the public. The guy knows his stuff- if you look at past threads in this forum he is quite well respected around here. That is one of the reasons why we went with the Baker's. Also, you've already prepped your deck, but in the future if you ever need a good deck cleaning product his Restore A Deck works great, too.