Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reuse or sell old trex deck

Posted by jlclark (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 21:00

We are going to have a stone paver patio placed in our back yard. We have a 12X12 trex deck now. Is there any use for the old material or can it be sold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reuse or sell old trex deck

That's funny.
Trex is already recycled trash. Maybe you can find a sucker to buy it, or cart it away for free. Otherwise, you'll have to haul it to the dump, from whence it came.

steve

o

if it's in decent shape you could make some outdoor furniture out of it - simple tables, adirondack chairs, maybe a deck box type thing? my father in law made a simple side table for his bbq grill out of trex (well the tabletop part is) and it's gotten a lot of use.

o

You can use it as edging to make flower beds and walkways. It might be worth a couple hundred bucks to the right person(maybe Craigslist?)

o

You Guys have got to be kidding. gh essssssssss.

Steve there is one born every min. J.

o

I'd like to know bluebook on a 12x12 trex deck too. Let us know what you find out. I hear they depreciate pretty quick.

o

oh for the love, do you have to be so negative? God forbid someone wants to keep something out of the landfill.

if you have nothing constructive to contribute why do you bother commenting?

live and let live brotha.

o

I am real fine with live and let live.

Trying to market used trex is so funny your going to have to get used to some Major Yucks. J.

o

funnyfellow

It would be great if jlclark could reuse his trex, and keep it out of the landfill.
I, myself, have demolished 3 trex decks, and sent them to the dump. What else could I do with trash that my clients wanted to get rid of...so that I could build them beautiful Ipe decks. One thing is certain...you'll never see Ipe in a landfill.

steve

o

funyellow,

Why not use the Trex for planter boxes along your stone patio?

You have to excuse "J". He offers no useful feedback EVER.

o

Trex is not rated for ground contact. J.

o

"Trex is not rated for ground contact. J."

More useless feedback? Sounds like factual advice. Coming over here with dumb ideas and a know it all attitude never adds any useful feedback to this site.

Cheers,
Aidan

o

Trex is not rated for air contact.

steve

o

I am geting big Grins with this. J.

o

You are correct that Trex isn't rated for ground contact. However, if it was going to be thrown out anyway, what's the difference?

And posting your personal feelings about a product when someone asks for a suggestion for its use WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE IT is useLESS.

o

So is trex. J.

o

Mr. Dre,

Who appointed you the forum policeman? It's not even your thread & you seem to getting quite upset over nothing. Is there anything wrong with having a little fun on a funny subject?

I wish mr. clark would come back & tell us what he did with his old trex.

Al

o

I'm not surprised the OP didn't come back. Ah well, I love my Trex deck.

o

Jl, These contractor "dudes" were pretty insulting to you. Guess you wouldn't hire them?
Anywho,?! benches in your green house, garage, basement. Anything you do with it would be better than trashin' it.
Put it on the curb with a "free" sign. Someone might appreciate your generosity.

All said from someone whom hates to throw away anything!

o

In the sun for 10 years, trex will completely decompose into dust. For those people who worry about limited landfill space and the possibility that we may exhaust this finite resource, don't panic...

Trex is manufactured from diverted landfill material, which saves space in the landfill. Most of the plastics and other junk trex is made of would take forever to decompose naturally in the landfill. After processing into trex, the new material decomposes in a fraction of the time. It gets a head start to ordinary trash, because by the time the used trex makes it back to the landfill it is mostly decomposed.

The secret is that waste management companies actually manufacture trex just to put it straight back into the landfill. It makes good business sense and saves them money. The kicker is they have tricked people into paying the cost of transporting it and storing it at their own waste transfer yards for a few years for free. Then they make money again when it goes back to the landfill!

o

Sooooooooooo Funny Aidan !!!!!

Kinda like using your worn out moldy carpet to make a garment or asking someone if they wanted it. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here