Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which would you use: sikkens or penofin?

Posted by stovetop (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 20:59

Hi,

I have a tong and groove pine ceiling covering our outdoor deck. I have talked to local vendors and they suggest either sikkens 123, Sikkens SRD or the penofin marine stain.

I am looking for:
1. durability--don't want the ceiling to turn gray and prevent mold/mildew growth
2. easy maintainance-every 3-4 years (I live in Maine on an island, 100 yds from ocean so the ceiling is wet/damp in the mornings and its usually either in the 60s (summer) and 30s-20s winter). We rarely have a dry morning (only august).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which would you use: sikkens or penofin?

For THAT kind of moisture-load, the only thing to use is the...
Cetol 1 & 23+ system...OR the Sikkens Log & Siding.

These 2 stains form a SURFACE-FILM.
This keeps moisture away from wood.

MAKE SURE the sufaces are cleaned, lightly AND EVENLY scuff-sanded, and every molecule off dust wiped off!!!
>>> Have the surface moisture-tested.
>>> If wood is more than 15%, don't stain yet...or those stains will get pushed-off prematurely!!

We go thru lots of Sikkens here in Fargo.
* I've got SRD Redwood #089 on my Redwood deck & fence.
* Used DEK-Finish Mahogany #045 on a bench that my DW's Dad made ~ 15yrs ago. Looks sweet! (sanded it down this spring)
* If I was doing your porch ceiling, I'd use the film-building products...not SRD in this case.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here