Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k_rider

new aluminum decking install 2014

k_rider
9 years ago

We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade. It has been hanging on the house for about 25 years... Great storage space undrer... could be a third garage but always wet....I need dry storage.. We are installing a new aluminum plank to replace the old serious ugly wood boards with a locking aluminum rain tight plank to create a dry area below... WHOO deee dooo.... There have been some recent inquires about aluminum decking. I will let you know how this works after it rains and the acorns stop falling. I have attached a pic of the original deck I will post progress pics....

Comments (13)

• k_rider
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got started with the demo and removing old decking 16" at a time. We are reinforcing and changing the direction of the framing to allow for the aluminum planks to drain in the correct direction. Added benefit is the deck does not bounce anymore. I will add new pics as we get more completed.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I'm curious about your blocking method. It looks like you're sistering 2x?s to the existing joists and then putting 2x4 blocking perpendicular? And resting on the sistered boards?

Can you explain the rationale behind that vs. just perpendicular blocking to attach the new decking?

• k_rider
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The original framing was 2x8's 12 ft long. For the span they were code compliant. Over 25 years they still are in good shape but they bounced a bit for the span. I sistered on both sides a 2x4x10 that reinforced the joists. The were set on a slope to create a pitch for the planks to drain correctly. They also made it very easy to set the blocking at the correct elevation to maintain the pitch. They just had to be dropped in and fastened to the joist and new ledge. The slope was set with a string so any variations in the old joist were take out of the equation. We know have a very large, very even, very flat deck surface..... That does not bounce and is dry underneath. We still have handrails, stairs and flashing trim to workout and install.

• jocoyn
    9 years ago

Looking good. How come not pushed up against house?

• k_rider
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Their will be gutter at the house side to close the gap. We have differing elevations and door thresholds that preclude just flashing back to the wall. The gutter solves a lot of elevation and flashing issues.

• jocoyn
    9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing progress and comparing notes. We are having a LockDry deck installed right now and I will have to post pictures of the progress. They used surveyors equipment to guarantee the right pitch and it is already oriented with the joists parallel to the house.

We had them tear down the old deck as it was an unsafe installation. But it is good to see existing deck structure modified to accommodate.

• houses14
    8 years ago

My house is in building now. It will have wood deck but want change to this dry deck.

What is the difference in cost?

Thanks

• k_rider
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Work being crazy have not had any time to update the deck rebuild. Will do it in the next month or so when things slow down...... Cost over a standard 5/4 treated lumber deck.... I would guess the cost would run about 3 1/2 time the cost for the wood alternative..... Benefit over the wood I now have 550 sqft of dry storage under my deck. As a note.... I do own a custom metal fabrication company and have available discounted pricing on materials. Nice to have..... I would suggest getting a price from your local LockDry dealer and get a real price. They should suggest on how to frame the deck to make the installation easy. You need to allow for a slope. Call them and have them price it based on your new house drawings.. Congrats on the new house......

• k_rider
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Finally have gotten the deck boards down, gutter at the house plumbed, handrails powder coated and installed and the new infill panels fabricated, painted and installed.

Finally dry under the deck and not a soggy mess when it rains. Still have a few things that I may change and will probably add low voltage lighting.

Reinforcing the old joists was a good idea as we have eliminated the bounce.

Would I do aluminum planks again....? Not sure yet.... I will let you know later

• PortiaL
    7 years ago

Great stuff rider - nice to see the pics. Please do provide updates on the decking with almost a year's use?! We would love to see the underside as well.

FYI, we are looking at installing a full aluminium deck with aluminium joists/under frame and support posts for our new build in Horseshoe Valley, Ontario, Canada. Our prime objective is for a durable, maintenance free decking option. Wood look and feel is less of a concern or priority.

We have been searching and reading all available reviews online (which are very limited and not up-to-date) and are still puzzled on which product/company to go for. Being in Canada we are limited to only a few local companies, i.e. CraftBuilt - seems to be your typical aluminium decking product & SigmaDek - the new 'Ferrari' of decking with the price tag to go with it. We also have been in contact with Wahoo, Versadeck, LockDry, Last Deck, etc but with them being in the US and very little to no representation/distributors in Canada we are worried if warranty - product issues arise in the future.

It would be great to here more reviews especially with decks/products that are waterproof/resist the weather as we have a walkout underneath the deck that we will turn into a dining/lounge area. We are looking at a deck size of approx 12' x 30' or slightly wider.

• jocoyn
    7 years ago

I did install the lock dry but the cost of the aluminum framing was prohibitive for me but my deck is probably going to outlast my house (8x8 posts, gluelam beam so I could get a lot of open area under it etc.) - there is another post on my deck. Same comment on showing dirt big time and some other comments if you look [another thread]..I would say maintenance free..no you will be cleaning the deck a lot more but it is holding up well..and the dry underneath is wonderful.

• gmcalis
    6 years ago

Jocoyn, I am interested in installing aluminum decking, I live in Seneca, South Carolina. May I ask who you used for your installation? If there is a way to private message or email if you rather. Thank you for your time and assistance.