Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aggregate --- Will it cheapen the look of my house?

Posted by building_a_house (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 18:49

I am thinking about using exposed aggregate ($1/sq. ft) for the front and rear porch of my custom home. It is in a wooded lot and I personally like the look of aggregate but wondering if it would cheapen the look? Should I be looking at alternative products like stone, slate, etc?

Let know your thoughts about aggregate. I know its "inexpensive" but is it also "cheap"?

I know that someone will say "If you like it just go with it" and I understand that thinking. I am just trying to make sure I don't make a major mistake before I choose it as an option on my multi-hundred thousand dollar custom home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aggregate --- Will it cheapen the look of my house?

I had it in an upscale neighborhood as did many neighbors. The area had significant restrictions on lot coverage for ecological reasons. Pavement and house footprint counted, but surfaces that allowed rain to sink into the ground did not. Unless there is a barrier such as a few inches of compressed powdered granite or something similar under it, eventually weeds grow through it meaning that maintaining a neat appearance requires weed killer applications. Cheaper up front and more ecological, but higher maintenance.

o

I have never heard of weeds growing through concrete. Are we thinking of the same product?

A floor like this is what I am considering...

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggregate Floor

o

I thought you meant a crushed stone driveway. Do you mean concrete? If so easy to be upscale, since can finish surface to look any way you want it to (just costs more)

o

I meant the exposed aggregate concrete. Should have been more specific.

o

Around here it's the higher end look for driveways and sidewalks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here