Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front entrance question

Posted by p3arljam (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 18:38

This is a photo of my covered front door entrance. During the warm months i have a serious problem with spiders and other bugs all over the the entrance. I use a broom to clean them away but 2 days later its a mess again. This is also my first time owning a house with vinyl siding and here is my question. I would like to put another door(screen or glass) flush with the opening of the entrance way to keep the bugs out but i am not sure how i would go about attaching it to the vinyl siding any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front entrance question

Doors do not attach to siding and should not be attached through siding. If needed, Siding is cut out at attachment point and a proper wood frame is built attaching to the house. Most common attachment for a storm door or screen door is direct attachment to the preexisting door frame. These stick out in front of the door frame and avoid having to deal with siding since attached to existing surface wood.

Alternative and less formal is to get one of the rolled up screen doors that only need to attach to one side and latch to the other. Still need to cutout siding on attachment side and put molding (similar to what there is around window frames around the sides of the place where the door attaches to the house frame.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here