Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have a sun/screen porch?

Posted by lavender_lass (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 18:15

I have always wanted a glass porch with screens. I am remodeling an old farmhouse and want to turn the current porch into a laundry/mudroom and put a new porch 23' x 10' on the back. I would like to have a glass porch, where the windows open with screens for the summer, but can be used in the fall and spring as well (zone 4). I was thinking about putting in electric baseboard heat on a separate thermostat, just in case I want to use it in the colder months, or for special occasions.

It's the only place with a really good view of the back of our farm and the horses, which I love and it's a big enough porch to use for a dining area when necessary, since the kitchen will have a corner banquette with table and two chairs. I thought I'd rather have the porch, than a separate dining room and eat-in kitchen.

Any suggestions or pictures? What about floor and ceiling ideas? It would have to be durable in the summer when the screens are open. Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have a sun/screen porch?

we too, live in an old farmhouse in zone 4 and are putting on a sun porch basically made up of 6 ft Pella sliding french doors with screens and will be surrounded by decking. we were able to purchase the doors (posted on craigslist) used from a apartment building replacing their balcony doors so they were only $200.00 each. we also bought a 10ft sliding french door for the main exit to the deck and main yard. So we will have 2 6 ft sections on each end and the 10fter with a full size window flanking each side, opposite the entrance of the house. we are planning tile floor with a floor drain on the south wall so that we can keep all of our house and tropical patio plants. there is a better homes and gardens magazine : PORCH & SUNROOM PLANNER available at the home centers( got mine at menards for $14.00)that has alot of nice ideas and pictures. There is one sun porch on page 48 that is base on the look of a grain silo and has a metal roof, very country looking and then on page 58 they show a nice way to complete the ceiling with cedar tongue and groove to hide the electric wire and allow the ceiling to be vaulted. hope this helps and I will post finished pics

o

Thanks for the information! I've been trying to figure out how to get this porch to look the way I imagine it in my head. Pictures will be a huge help.

What a good deal on the Pella french doors. It sounds like your porch is going to be beautiful! That's a great idea to put a drain in the floor for the plants. Hope you post pics when you're finished :)

o

To help plan our two additions, the new sunroom on one side of the house and a new dining room addition on the other as well as our kitchen remodel I downloaded from IKEA their free kitchen planner program. You can visually see what you want to create. You have a screen to set up the room size, place windows of any size and doors whereever you want. It really helped me to physically see what my mind's eye was imagining

o

That's a great idea! Thanks for the info :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here