Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Many thanks from a lurker....

Posted by kiddo_1 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 18:05

I have lurked on this forum all summer and just wanted to say thanks for all your interesting and informative threads. I've read a lot of deck adventures, successes as well as pitfalls. I would not have been able to make informed decisions about wood preservative, etc. had not I visited here.

Here is a link to give you a peek at how my arbor rebuild turned out.

Meanwhile...back to lurking. ;-D

Kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Many thanks from a lurker....

I am a twp fan but never used the 200 series,intersting.

I have to say Mel,you total lucked out with the Craig pretty good deal.

I am not a big fan of the recycle thing, that is being used on the same project even if the wood can be resurfaced its still as old as it is. On the flip side I save a lot of torn out decking in fact I framed both of the roofs of my shop out of used pt 2x6.

I think you done good Girl!!! Be sure and keep up on the finish<< this will be important using that old stuff put it on real thick. Also one reason you still had the gray coming thru was the lack of an oxalic acid rinse after all that power washing but what the hay.

Good Job. Jhon Mon

o

Go kiddo!

I enjoyed reading the details of your rebuild, and was impressed at how you reused/recycled everything, and your fixes for the hinged gutter access and poor original construction. I can't believe someone nailed a ledger board to brick! Wow....

o

Thanks, weedy... Yeah, it sure was an adventure. A lot of work, but turned out well. Next year I really do think I'll flip the deck planks. I'm sure that there will be more 'original' surprises underneath. Got $ says we'll be having to anchor the underneath ledger board too. And from what I can determine about the piers...well, just wish me luck. I'm going to need it. LOL
Kris

o

John - Thanks! As for the wood, I'm not worried - it is sound and should now last even longer with the preservative on it. Thing is with TWP is that you can't put it on 'thick'. When the wood stops sucking it up the extra stuff just lays on top and you have to dry-brush it off.

Sure, probably there were more 'coulda-shoulda' steps bypassed, but I didn't want to make a career out of that arbor. There is only so much me to go around. LOL
Kris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here