Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TWP's new wood surface preparation for 1500 stain?

Posted by ntruro (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 18:03

I live in one of the 16 states, where, for environmental reasons, I cannot buy the 100 series. So I'm planning on using the 1500 series stain. Below is a cut-and-paste of TWP's recommended surface preparation for the 1500 product. The following three things surprised me: the long wait time before applying the stain, washing the wood with 1:1 household bleach to water mixture, and power-washing the new wood.

Will the wood grey during the long exposed wait time? Will the bleach destroy the lignin in the wood? Will the power-washer remove the outer layer of wood fibers?

Anyone have experience with this product and process?

TIA

SURFACE PREPARATION:NEW WOOD:
New wood should be allowed 4 to 12 months
of natural weathering before finish coat
application. After aging, wood should be
cleaned with a solution of 1 part household
bleach to 1 part water. The bleached surface
should be thoroughly rinsed with water, power
washed and then allowed to dry a minimum of
48 hours in good drying conditions before
finish coat application.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TWP's new wood surface preparation for 1500 stain?

Welcome to the world of twp management. They train the folks on the phone like talking birds.

Do not wait for anything but good weather to put the finish on a new deck.

Do not use household bleach on any deck.

Do not use a powerwasher on a deck at all.

There is no reason to wait 2 days before puting on the finish under good weather conditions.

Why do they do this????? I do not know . I have a Gemini plant 20 miles from my house many many times I have talked to many many twp mangement/phone girls/ sales reps with the same result. Akkkkkkkk Akkkkkkkkk Arkkkkkkk....you cant do that Akkkkkkkk Akkkkkkkk Back on the perch.

One thing twp does not lack is R&D, those guys are really sharp there is just a disconect between them and sales. I am glad to see the 1000 series coming back years ago that was bad a@@ product but it was put on under shop conditions its a good thing to see it up and running again.

I suggest you do a test with it put it on a short of your decking and see what happens. Jon Mon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here