Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zerwasagirl

What size deck screw to use

zerwasagirl
17 years ago

Please help. I have been reading thru this forum to build my deck correctly. I was all set to use #7 or #8 coated trim heads to screw down 5/4 x 6 Brazilian redwood. Then on McFeely's web site, they said "use of trim heads for attaching deck boards is not generally recommended." That only leaves #10 flat head. Why and how come no one on this sites uses #10? Also, should the length be 2 1/2 inches? Thanks for the GREAT advice you all give!

Comments (6)

• alanchad
    17 years ago

I used #10 2 1/2 316 SS buglehead screws w/star drive.

Swan secure product, Woodpecker I think.

Used 9/64 pilot drill.

I screwed and plugged, so SS may have been overkill for that.

I believe Mcfeelys has a #10 2 3/8 square drive that Steve Brooklyndecks uses and has had good success with.

I didn't break a single screw (so far, fingers crossed),
    and they hold well.

I decked with 5/4 ipe, and warped boards were a pain. Not sure that the smaller trim screws would have held.

My only deck, so search on Brooklyndecks, John Hyatt, Clemens, etc. These guys are pros and install hundreds of decks.

Their advice has been invaluable, and they are always helpful to rookies like me.

Just my opinion, hope it helps, and good luck.

Alan

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Trim head,square drive,ss screws are all I have ever used to put down ipe. 1 5/8'' for 3/4'' material,2 1/2'' for 5/4''. John

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

zerwasagirl,

When I screw down an Ipe deck that I'm gonna plug, I use the #10 2 3/8" no-co-rode deck screws from mcfeely. they are great. When I'm not gonna plug, I use the 2.5" #8 headcote SS trimhead. Mcfeelys sells them, and they recommend them for tropical hardwoods. I wouldn't use them with cedar.

the bugle heads on the #10 have superior hold down ability over the trim heads, but I don't like to see them.

steve

• xterra
    17 years ago

Steve
    Im using 1 in.Ipe. I plan to face screw and plug, the plugging will probably happen later, Im screwing into doug fir. there is a possability that plugging may not happen, especially before winter. can I use the brown headcote,and plug later,what size and length? also does an impact driver help with the process? any other tips.
    thanks Bob

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

Bob,

If you plan to plug, you have to countersink deep 3/8" holes (for bugle head screws), or 1/4"(for trim heads). If you set headcote trimscrews now, you'll have to pull them to countersink later...it doesn't make sense. If it's very cold where you live, the titebond 3 glue may not work right for gluing the plugs.

I love my Makita 14.4 impact driver. wouldn't use anything else for setting deck screws. I use a corded drill for deep countersinks.

steve

• Ellie Madison
    11 months ago

The size of deck screw to use will depend on several factors, such as the thickness of the decking boards, the type of material you're using, and the load requirements of your specific project. As a general rule, the diameter of the screw should be at least equal to half the thickness of the board. For example, for a 32mm thick deck board, you would want a screw with a diameter of at least 16mm. This will help ensure that the screw is strong enough to hold the board firmly in place without splitting the wood. In terms of length, you'll need to consider the thickness of the deck board, the depth of the joist, and any additional layers of materials you may be using, such as flashing or ledger boards. As a general rule, the screw should be long enough to penetrate the deck board and the joist by at least 25-30mm to provide a secure hold. When selecting deck screws, it's important to choose screws made from high-quality materials, such as stainless steel or copper, which provide excellent corrosion resistance and durability in outdoor environments. You can also choose screws with different head styles and coatings to suit your specific project needs.